International Mother Earth Day Event
April 22 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Participate with the Greater Lansing United Nations Association in a fun hands-on activity suitable for all ages.
- Create a sunflower terrarium
- Learn about the history and many uses of the sunflower.
- Intergenerational activity: Can do with grandkids
- “Plant it Forward”
- Share Mother Earth Day with a friend or family member
- Have a sunflower sprouting by Mother’s Day
- Materials and information available during the week of April 18
- Seeds, 2-liter bottles, and soil (participants can provide their own)
- Educational video about the Sunflower from Dr. Peter Carrington, Curator and Collection Manager, W. J. Beal Botanical Garden
- Informational links about Mother Earth Day
- Watch for more information soon…
Co-sponsored by Peace Education Center, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, Edgewood United Church, The Islamic Center of East Lansing, and Ovid-Elsie Schools.
United Nations official website:
International Mother Earth Day | United Nations
History of Earth Day:
Earth Day – Wikipedia
Other actions happening on Mother Earth Day:
Earth Day 2021 | Restore Our Earth™ | EARTHDAY.ORG
International Mother Earth Day provides an opportunity to raise global public awareness of the challenges to the well-being of the planet and all the life it supports. The Day also recognizes a collective responsibility, as called for in the 1992 Rio Declaration, to promote harmony with nature and the Earth, to achieve a just balance among the economic, social and environmental needs of the present and future generations of humanity.
The UN General Assembly designated 22 April as International Mother Earth Day through resolution A/RES/63/278, adopted in 2009.